Codes of behaviour
Spirit of Cricket
The Coolum Cricket Club expects every person involved in the Club to abide by and act in accordance with The Spirit of Cricket.
The following is an extract from the Marylebone Cricket Club, Lord’s Cricket Ground, London:
Cricket owes much of its appeal and enjoyment to the fact that it should be played not only according to the Laws, but also within the Spirit of Cricket. The major responsibility for ensuring fair play rests with the captains, but extends to all players, match officials and, especially in junior cricket, teachers, coaches and parents.
Respect is central to the Spirit of Cricket.
- Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.
- Play hard and play fair.
- Accept the umpire’s decision.
- Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.
- Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.
- Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.
- Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.
Cricket is an exciting game that encourages leadership, friendship and teamwork, which brings together people from different nationalities, cultures and religions, especially when played within the Spirit of Cricket.” For a more detailed explanation of the Spirit of Cricket see Cricket Australia’s page titled The Spirit of Cricket .
The Coolum Cricket Club abides by the following codes of behaviour